Careers at The Honest Kitchen
If you'd like to submit your resume, please send it to email@example.com.
Director of Sales - Eastern U.S.Reports to: Vice President of Sales
Exemption status: Salaried exempt
The Director of Sales reports directly to the Vice President of Sales (VP). This position is instrumental in helping the Company hit or exceed sales quotas and helps the sales team achieve its goals. This position is responsible for helping the Vice President of Sales in managing and executing the strategic direction for the sales team.
The DOS leads their team by executing account management strategies that facilitate long-term customer relationships with distributors and key accounts. Accountable for promoting the company’s products in accordance with corporate objectives, formulating and executing company marketing/sales plans designed to increase sales, promote products and image in the marketplace. The DOS is required to interact with local Sales Representatives on a regular basis to present and review key performance indicators and develop plans to promote continuous improvement of these metrics.
Scope of Position
The DOS’s primary responsibilities will focus on the following requirements. Additional requests will be made to support the VP as necessary.
- Develop Regional Sales strategy with the VP of Sales.
- Execute Regional Sales Strategy with regional distributors and with Key regional accounts.
- Work with Territory Sales representatives to drive sales through execution.
- Develop and implement sales and market share growth strategies for the assigned territory and representatives.
- Develop plans to improve sales and market share; provide monthly progress reports.
- Ensure sales performance to plan, meet and exceed monthly, quarterly and annual sales targets.
- Develop strategies and goals for each rep visit and provide a detailed trip report, outlining call results, rep profile, insights, and action plans.
- Provides accurate and timely forecasting of sales and the corresponding allocation of sales support resources.
- Increases market penetration by securing new customers and expanding the scope of the existing customer base.
- Monitor pricing levels and develop effective pricing strategies with the Vice President of Sales according to general direction and policies.
- Ability to evaluate market development opportunities through qualitative, quantitative and analytical methods.
- Responsible for meeting growth objectives around gross margin and volume.
- Ensures adherence to Company policies, procedures, and strategic initiatives.
- Improves metrics on sales and sales funnel closing ratios.
- Optimize sales cycle management.
- Keep Senior Management appraised through verbal and documented reports on sales volume, competitive activity, growth and expansion progress.
- Requires strong analytical, communication, and customer service skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills and is a quick learner.
- Outstanding organization and follow up skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail and goes the extra mile to see things through.
- Experience with computer systems, including but not limited to CRM (Salesforce.com), marketing automation (Magento), ERP (SAP) – preferred, and Windows.
- Ability to travel 50-75% of the time.
- Must love animals.
- Demonstrated experience in meeting and/or exceeding sales targets as an individual contributor and team member.
- BA or BS college degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in working in sales or business development.
- Sales Management Experience
- Financial acumen including P&L Management, expense control and margin requirements
- Experienced in developing and deploying training programs.
- Knowledgeable in sales analysis and reporting.
- Strong technical skills including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Worked in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Customer Focus - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Dealing with Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; doesn't have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Learning on the Fly - Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
- Action Oriented - Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Composure - Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Decision Quality - Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Directing Others - Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
- Informing - Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, unit, and/or the organization; provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
- Managing and Measuring Work - Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Managing Vision and Purpose - Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations.
- Motivating Others - Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
- Peer Relationships - Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Priority Setting - Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
Demo Rep – San Diego and Los Angeles, CA
The Honest Kitchen is seeking an Independent Contractor Demo Representative in the following metropolitan area: San Diego. These are independent contractor positions. The Demo Project entails using hands-on tactics to spread the word about our healthy, natural, dehydrated whole foods for dogs and cats through sampling and dialogue with interested parties. A training program is provided for independent contractors, to provide them with the knowledge needed to execute the project.
Scope of Position
The Independent Contractor Demo Rep will focus on the following requirements. Additional requests will be made to support the company as necessary.
- Setting up a table displaying product samples and literature in an orderly manner, in pet supply, natural specialty stores
- Participating in appropriate pet-centric community events, by operating a booth or sampling table
- Initiating conversation with potential customers and introducing products to them
- Interacting with potential customers, asking questions, listening to their needs, assisting them in choosing an appropriate diet
- Blitzing local dog parks, dog beaches and other locations with samples and information to support local stores.
- Must be available to work weekends (up to 8 hours each weekend day)
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be able to bend, lift and move up to 50 pounds
- Comfortable working alone, and with others
- Must be dependable and able to efficiently coordinate own schedule, and set up appointments with stores
- Proficient in using Microsoft Excel, to complete reports on progress
- Prior experience in a position or event setting, interacting with the public is an advantage
If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us why you'd like to be an independent demo contractor for us, the area you're interested in, and to request an application form.
About The Honest Kitchen:
As a team of pet and animal lovers, we put our heart and soul into our work – making a line of dehydrated whole foods, treats and supplements for dogs and cats. We've been one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work for 3 straight years. We're an approved member of Green America, which places a high priority on sustainability, green business and fair-trade. We use 100% organic grains, hormone/ antibiotic-free meats and non-GMO produce. All ingredients are guaranteed 100% Human Food Grade.
Our mission is to be the most respected pet food company by continually raising industry standards, serving wholesome, nutritious meals to our customers and enhancing their guardians’ awareness about all aspects of health. Each month, we donate a portion of the profits from our online sales to a non-profit animal welfare, humanitarian or environmental organization.
Get a behind the scenes look at us on our Facebook Page
refer and save!
Refer-a-friend to our healthy pet food by sharing a special offer for 50% off a 2lb box. If they complete their order using the coupon you will receive a $5 coupon to use for treats, swag and food!» refer your friends