June 13, 2012
You've come to the right place! Here are 7 quick things you might not already know....
- It takes about 41 lbs of fresh meat and produce to make just one 10 lbs box of Honest Kitchen food (That’s about $170 in groceries if you bought it at the store*).
- Our food actually expands to four times its original weight when hydrated with warm water. And it's super-easy to do - even children and husbands can manage it!
- We produce our foods in a human food facility (not in a pet food plant) to ensure the highest possible quality and safety standards. Our plant also makes things like pancake mixes and bakery goods that people eat.
- Our foods are produced in the USA from non GMO produce, hormone-free meats and some organic, fair trade ingredients - all carefully sourced from around the world**.
- We use dehydration to gently make our product without high-heat processing or irradiation - This results in a more nutritious, colorful product (the colorful pigments in fresh produce are actually phytonutrients - antioxidants, that we like to think of as magical, health-protecting compounds.
- Dehydration also means our finished products are compact and nutrient dense. There's actually the equivalent of 21 cans of wet food in one 4 lbs box of Honest Kitchen - and it's cost effective too because you aren't paying to ship lots of water weight.
- We always make sure we use eco-friendly packaging - BPA-free bags, and boxes made from a combination of SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative) and recycled board, that's recyclable or biodegradable after use (they also make great craft projects, cat playhouses and beer carriers, among other things).
* Based on calculations for 10lbs Force grain-free dog food
** No ingredients from China
Hungry for a few more fun facts? Our snazzy new Honest Kitchen Infographic will take you even further behind our brand! Let us know if you've got any questions - we love to chat!