Halloween Safety for Pets
Ghosts, goblins, ghouls and ghastly emergency vet visits:
Halloween horrors result in a major uptick in pet emergencies. Know where the dangers lie and be prepared to avoid them.
Keep Your Pet Calm and Contained
Even the calmest pets can get spooked by people in costume. Skip taking your pup trick-or-treating, and make sure your dogs and cats are safely contained inside the house. A scared pet might make a mad dash out the door when trick-or-treaters arrive. If the doorbell sends your dog into a tizzy, consider tucking him safely in a bedroom with music playing or even disabling it for the evening. For anxiety-ridden pets, consult with your vet before the holiday to determine if meds or other remedies (like pheromones or anti-anxiety apparel) will help.
Watch for Decoration Dangers
Ribbons, streamers, and straw entice curious kitties but can pose a choking hazard. Candles can burn snouts and tails, and those flickering in tasty pumpkins can be extra dangerous. Keep decorations safely out of your pet’s reach. That includes glow sticks; though not toxic in small amounts, glow sticks are an irritant and can leave a lasting nasty taste in your pet’s mouth.
Choose the Right Costume
Many pets feel uncomfortable in costumes. To adorn your pet in festive garb while keeping him or her comfy, consider a Halloween-themed bandana or collar and leash. If you choose to go with a costume, avoid anything with an elastic strap that goes under the chin. Make sure it’s not constricting; your pet should be able to move like normal—and that includes barking, meowing, and sipping water. At the first sign of discomfort, remove your pet’s costume.
Stow Candy Out of Reach
We all know chocolate toxicity is a big deal. Beyond that, though, a lot of candy poses a choking or blocking hazard. Think about lollipop sticks, fireballs, wrappers, and those little plastic spider rings. Keep your kid’s Halloween haul safely out of reach of your pets in a closed cabinet, pantry or even the refrigerator. Or, just eat it after your kid’s gone to bed—problem solved!