Honest Kitchen Birthday Time!
Each month we celebrate an array of Honest Kitchen employee birthdays!
This month Liz Black, from customer service, Liana Tuttle from operations and Nicole George our Controller all shared a birthday this month here in our corporate office. With that comes some treats. On the menu today was a horchata pie, butternut squash sorizo lasagna and gingerbread pumpkin ice cream cake with cream cheese frosting! Happy Birthday Ladies!
Want to try it for yourself? Below is the recipe for the butternut squash sorizo lasagna. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soyrizo Lasagna
Trader Joes Shopping List
2 tsp Garlic puree
2 bags of the pre-cut butternut squash
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
3 ½ cups of milk
1 to 1 ½ packs of soyrizo
Pack of no boil lasagna noodles
2 ½ cups of shredded mozzarella
1 container of ricotta
1 bunch of cilantro
Salt and pepper
1. Roast butternut squash and shallots in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Toss in olive oil and salt and pepper. Once done set aside.
2. Béchamel sauce: Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium, heat, once melted add flour and stir till it thickens, about a minute or so. Then slowly pour milk and whisk to get rid of any clumps and to prevent from burning. The sauce will thicken within about 5 minutes.
Puree the butternut squash: Add the roasted butternut squash, shallots, cilantro and garlic to strong blender (vita-mix) or food processor along with a couple ladles of the béchamel sauce. Puree then add back to the rest of the béchamel and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Soyrizo: brown soyrizo over medium heat in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Once slightly browned set aside.
5. Assemble lasagna: ladle about ¼ cup of sauce on the bottom of the baking pan (9×13), spread evenly. Lay a layer of the no-boil lasagna noodles, a little more sauce, about a 1/3 or the soyrizo, 6 dollops of ricotta and then a thin layer of mozzarella cheese. Continue the layering, you should get three full layers then the top you want to ladle the rest of the sauce, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle some parmesan. With the no-boil noodle just make sure that you cover the noodles in sauce.
6. Once your finished cover tightly with foil and put in a 375 degree oven and back for 40 minutes. Uncover and turn on broiler to brown for a minute till it is brown and bubbly.