Recipe: Willow’s Decade Delight Birthday Cake
This recipe for a decadent birthday cake was created to celebrate Willow’s 10th Birthday.
It makes a good sized cake that’s perfect to slice up and share with several dog friends. It’s a fun cake for children to help make, too!
2 cups Honest Kitchen® dog food (Willow likes Embark®)
¾ cup warm water & ¾ cup chicken broth (or 1 ½ cups of warm water)
2 free range eggs
½ cup cottage cheese
1 can low sodium salmon, sardines or tuna
Cream cheese, to ‘ice’ the cake
What to do
- Pre heat the oven to 375F.
- Hydrate the Honest Kitchen food in a large bowl, with the water and / or broth.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, and add to the hydrated food.
- Mix in the cottage cheese and canned fish and stir everything to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture equally between two thoroughly greased, round cake tins and transfer to the oven to bake for about 50 minutes, until firm to touch.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and set aside to cool in their tins (sufficiently out of reach, if your dog has a penchant for thievery, like Willow).
- Once cooled, turn out one of the cakes onto a plate (it might be slightly crumbly).
- Spread a fairly thin layer of cream cheese onto this cake, using a knife and then turn out the second cake and place that on top.
- Transfer about ¼ cup cream cheese to a piping bag*, and decorate the top of the cake with your dog’s name, or any other fancy artwork.
- Cut into slices appropriately sized for your pup and his or her friends, and serve!
*If you don’t have a piping bag, you can ice the top of the cake with a layer of cream cheese just like the bottom section.