Orange Pro Bloom Dog Treats
A little sunshine in every bite!There’s something about citrus fruits that feels and tastes fresh, zesty and fabulous! Oranges are like a burst of sunshine, wrapped in an eco-friendly peel and conveniently sized to pack in a lunch. But did you know that dogs can enjoy all the benefits and flavor of this wonderful fruit? We use both the juice and the peel in this dog treat recipe, along with ground pumpkin seeds, honey, and The Honest Kitchen’s Instant Goat's Milk supplement.
1/4 cup honey
1 cup oat flour
1 orange (zested/grated and juiced)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups spelt flour
1 tbsp The Honest Kitchen's Instant Goat's Milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a blender or food processor, grind sunflower seeds to a meal or powder consistency.
Combine flours, ground sunflower seeds and Goat's Milk in a large bowl.
- Add egg, vanilla extract and honey to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Lightly grate or zest the orange peel, and add to mixture.
- Slice orange in half. Squeeze juice into bowl – don’t worry if pulp gets into the dough.
- Knead dough into ball. Split the dough into four or five smaller balls. Roll each ball onto a flat countertop covered with parchment paper and roll to ¼ to ½ inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on racks for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place in an airtight container or bag and keep in refrigerator or freezer until needed.
If any orange seeds fall into your mix, remove them from the dough as they can pose a choking hazard for smaller dogs.