Recipe: Gluten-Free Almond Treats
If your dog is on a gluten- or grain-free diet, you know that it can be tricky to find him treats.With this Gluten-Free Almond Treat recipe, we've combined almond and quinoa flour, along with almond butter and The Honest Kitchen's Veggie, Nut & Seed Base Mix, so you can make a cookie packed with pawsome flavor while leaving out the grain and gluten. You can find almond and quinoa flour in your local bulk food store and almond butter is right beside the peanut butter in the grocery store.
¼ cup almond butter
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup olive oil
1 cup quinoa flour
⅓ cup The Honest Kitchen’s Veggie, Nut & Seed Base Mix
¼ cup water
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond and quinoa flour, cinnamon and base mix
- Add in egg, olive oil, almond butter and water to dry ingredients. Mix until a moist dough forms. You'
- ll have to use your hands to get it to stick together.
- Roll dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough out onto parchment paper on counter. Using a rolling pin, roll out to ½-inch thickness and cut out using cookie cutters.
- Place in oven and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Take cookies out of over and place on cooling racks. Allow to cool on racks overnight to harden.
- Store in air tight container, and keep in refrigerator or freezer
Gluten and grain-free dough is notorious for breaking apart when you roll it out. Don't roll the dough out as thin as you would traditional wheat flour. Keeping the dough thicker will help the cookies stay together once they've been cut.