Bacon and Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe
No dog can resist the lure of bacon…which makes this dog treat recipe an instant success!There are two foods that dogs just can't say no to—bacon and peanut butter! And we know that your pooch can't eat these two faves all the time, but as an occasional treat in moderation, there's nothing wrong with a little indulgence! Besides, with flax seeds, Veggie, Nut & Seed Base Mix and an egg included in the mix, we like to think that healthy and indulgence are perfectly combined in this homemade dog cookie.
2 cups buckwheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup The Honest Kitchen's Veggie, Nut & Seed Base Mix
3/4 cup water
3 pieces bacon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Fry bacon until desired crispiness. Pat excess grease with paper towel. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, add buckwheat flour, base mix and flax seed, and stir to combine.
- Add egg and peanut butter to dry mixture. Combine well.
- Cut or crumble bacon into small pieces (small enough so your dog can safely chew them). Add to mixture and stir until combined.
- Add water to mixture ¼ cup at a time. Dough should be stiff, so add more water or flour as needed.
- Roll out dough onto work surface (lightly floured or parchment paper) to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut dough with cookie cutter and place on the cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- After allotted baking time, turn off oven and let cookies sit in cooling oven for 2-3 hours.
- Let cool on a rack, and store in air-tight containers. Keep in refrigerator or freezer until needed.
This recipe uses The Honest Kitchen Veggie, Nut & Seed Base Mix.