Gluten-Free Awesome Apple Dog Treats
Pick this apple treat recipe and fill your kitchen with the wonderful scent of fall.Fall is officially here, and that means we get to indulge in the autumn harvest. Apples taste best in the fall—they're crisp, sweet and juicy. And our dogs love apples, too. This wonderful fruit is full of the good stuff. Apples are a source of vitamins A and C, and fiber. My recipe calls for a grated apple, so make sure you keep the apple seeds out of the dough. Feel free to use any type of apple you want. We used a Macintosh apple since there are lots of orchards in my neck of the woods and fresh picks arrive at the grocery store daily.
1 cup apple sauce
2 cups flour
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup The Honest Kitchen’s Veggie, Nut, and Seed Base Mix
1 apple (shredded)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine flour, base mix, and cinnamon.
- Add egg, grated apple, apple sauce, and olive oil to dry mixture. Mix well.
- Knead until dough is moist. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼ to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut using your favorite cookie cutter and place on baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool on racks for 4-6 hours. Once cool, store in container to refrigerate or freeze.
This dough can be sticky. Spray your rolling pin with oil spray before rolling out the dough. This will keep it from sticking on the rolling pin and will keep your dough flat.