Honest Kitchen Kale and Revel Dog Treats
Let’s bake with kale—a lean, green superfood that’s super for your dog.Superfoods are super great…especially when your dog can eat them! Kale is a superfood for many reasons: it’s high in beta carotene, vitamin K, and vitamin C, carotenoid pigments, low in calories, and is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and beta carotene. That’s a lot of super stuff packed into a leafy green! We’ve paired it with The Honest Kitchen's Whole Grain Chicken Recipe (Revel) that’s made with free-range chicken and organic whole grain barley to come up with a well-rounded treat that tastes super.
1 banana (mashed)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
1 cup kale (chopped)
1/3 cup The Honest Kitchen's Whole Grain Chicken Recipe
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil on the stove. Add chopped kale to water and let boil for 2 minutes (lid on). Remove from stove, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, dry food, egg, honey, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add mashed banana and kale into the mix. If needed, add water until the dough is stiff.
- On a floured countertop, roll out to ½ to ¼ inch thickness. Cut using cookie cutters and place on cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour.
- Store in air tight container or bag and keep in fridge or freezer until needed.
I prefer to boil my kale before adding it to these treats. It brings out the kale’s vibrant green color. You don’t have to boil the kale before adding it to the mix – just make sure it’s chopped up into small pieces, no matter which way you’re going with.