Recipe: Fresh Breath Treats
Add an extra dose of immune-boosting nutrients to your dog's diet while freshening up their breath.The carrot in the recipe helps scrape out the plaque buildups in your dog mouth, as well as triggering an increased production of bacteria-fighting saliva. The parsley has high levels of chlorophyll, which contains antibacterial and deodorizing properties. This is a treat you can enjoy (no more stinky dog breath in your face) as much as your pup!
- fresh parsley, loosely packed and finely chopped
- large egg, beaten
- medium carrot, peeled and grated
- old-fashioned oats (gluten-free)
- ripe banana, peeled
coconut oil, melted (unrefined, extra-virgin is best)
Preheat oven to 315°F
- Put oats in a food processor and pulse until they are a flour-like consistency. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, carrots and parsley.
- In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork and mix in egg and coconut oil.
- Combine banana and flour mixtures and knead. Turn dough onto a surface lightly dusted with flour. Spread out dough and, using a small to medium cookie cutter, cut out treats and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or non-stick cookie sheet. If you don'
- t have a cookie cutter, shape dough with your hands into a shape your dog can easily eat.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Wait for them to cool, and let your dog enjoy!
For dogs with allergies to egg, substitute one large egg with 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce